Youth Inline Hockey Equipment Requirements
- What equipment does my son/daughter need?
Approved helmet w/ full face protection
Padded Girdle (optional but highly recommended)
Long Roller Hockey Pants
Hockey Shin Guards
Inline Skates (no brakes)
Mouth guard that attaches to face cage
- Can we buy skates from Tallahassee Indoor Sports? We'd really prefer to try them on in person...
- It is very important that your son/daughter secure their skates as soon as possible, try them on, and hopefully skate on them several times before participating in any skating based activities. Unfortunately, the hockey equipment sales business is one that is heavily crippled by online retailers (who do not charge sales tax) and whose inventory costs are much lower than a traditional brick & mortar retailer. While a full-service pro-shop is being designed, the only place to buy skates for now is online. We suggest paying careful attention to the fitting guidelines put forth by the manufacturers, make sure you have a good, accurate foot measurement for your child, and order accordingly. Many people order two pairs of skates if they are unsure about the sizing, and return the pair that does not fit. Make sure you read the policies of the online retailer about returns and the cost of restocking before you try this advanced technique.
- Can my child use ice skates?
- No. Inline skates only (4 wheels in a row, no quads).
- I'm looking at this piece of equipment (online or in my garage), but I'm not sure if it will be appropriate or work...Help!
- Send us a message on Facebook or an email, and we will be glad to assist.
- My son/daughter has never played hockey before, can they participate?
- Yes. Please understand that there will be a lot of skating, and it is strongly encouraged that they obtain their skates and actually skate before attempting to participate in a skating-based activity.
- Who are the instructors and coaches?
- All instructors will have high level roller hockey experience, and most of them will be current or former FSU Roller Hockey players as part of their hockey resume. All coaches/instructors will be subject to passing a state-approved background check.
- What about hitting and concussions and fighting?
- Roller hockey and dek/floor hockey is a lesser-contact sport. It does not include full-body checking like ice hockey and fighting is not permitted. That said, all sports present serious risks of injury or worse.